Vampires are immortal predators that survive by feeding on the blood of humans. All currently known vampires kill and feed as once someone becomes a vampire, they need blood to survive. These are the most common types of supernatural creatures encountered by monster hunters Charley Brewster and Peter Vincent.
Vampires look normal, but with very pale skin and, sometimes, visible veins. However, that is just their disguise, as their true form is a horror to behold. There are different forms but what they have in common is a different eye colour and longer canines. Vampires can distort their faces in many ways and dislocate their jaws. Vampires have yellow/red eyes and long fangs, when angered or hurt, their faces become more monstrous. Amy had a wide mouth with rows of sharp teeth. Some vampires look similar to werewolves such as Louie, who grew fur and had to remove his clothes. Vampires are created when a vampire bites a human. The human will be seemingly dead while they are going through the 12 hour metamorphosis into a vampire. Once changed, they will be feral and will follow and answer to their creator, as if they are their creator's pet or as if their creator is an alpha of a wolf pack. Soon after they regain sentience and become a ruthless, inhuman, sadistic version of themselves that will love to make the people they knew in their human life suffer and will mock them like bullies. They will often harbor hatred for their former friends due the fact that they felt wronged by them when they were human. This is seen when Ed hated and tried to kill Charley because he felt that Charley always ignored him, when he tried to call Charley for help when confronted by Jerry and he did not answer him. They are also revealed to have a demonic force in the form of etherial smoke that spreads to a vampires victim when they are bitten, much like an infection or plague. This demonic infection could also help enhance a vampire's hypnotic abilities, as well as giving a human vampire blood
Vampires will be inside during the day and will sometimes go outside, but only at dawn or dusk. While inside they will feed at some point in the day on the humans they capture the night before, as well as be sedentary by watching T.V., drinking alcohol, and eating fruit, such as apples.
FeedingEditVampires feed on blood. They bite on the victim's neck. They soak and drink blood until the vampire is done drinking. They also have an apparent taste for fruits such as apples, much like fruit bats. Vampires have also been seen giving some blood to other younger vampires, much like feeding a pet. This was seen when Jerry let a turned Amy, who was feral and eager to please him, feed on his chest when his purposely cut himself and was given great pleasure. They must feed far more and kill their victim in a feral haze when they are stabbed near the heart and their heart is injured in order to recover.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Vampires have many powers. Some have special talents and unique abilities.
Common to all vampires, they'll stop physically aging from the moment they are turned. They possess eternal youth and the potency to live forever as well as immunity to all human aliments (e.g. diseases). Despite their physical immortality, their minds and emotions continue to develope and mature far beyond human capacity - hence why they have vast majority of knowledge upon things beyond mankind.
Vampires are a strong breed. Jerry overpowered and threw Charley several yards away, shoved and tossed away a whole bed with one arm, pinned down a security guard, tossed a motorbike far across a road and into a minivan window, and lifted the back of a minivan high off the ground on his shoulders. Jerry then hurled Peter Vincent far out of a room with great speed and force. Amy overpowered and pinned Charley to the ground. Vampires can burrow deep into the Earth with their bare hands.
Super Speed, heightened sensesEdit
Jerry was able to be in the rooms before Charley did. Whether this is some form of teleportation or not, it's up for debate. For stalking and killing their prey, vampires are also known to be able to scent their prey and hear their heartneats, and able to pick up the human emotion such as fear as well as being aware of the danger such as when someone's watching them from afar or the feeling of being stalked by mortal(s).
Shapeshifting, special vampiric powersEdit
They can shapeshift into bats, wolves and even mist. while in their animal forms, they are slightlly larger and much more menacing than natural wolves or bats. Vampires in the remake were never seen to shape-shift but can alter their faces. Louie was shown to have the ability to become a Werewolf and stalk his prey. Also an very old vampire like Regine can have some special powers as shown in her vampiric dance at FRIGHT NIGHT when she was chosen as a new host, Regine make her bite mark bleed ,turn water in blood , disssapear and appear. Also when Charley had want to feed from Alex , Regine used pyrokinesis for lighting candles. Later is shown that Regine used telekinesis for closing doors.
Wall crawling, agility and shapeshiftingEditOther special powers known to vampires are their ability to crawl the wall, hanging from the wall without difficulty, any surface would be no problem to them at all.
As shown in Fright Night II, Louie is able to use this ability and climb up against the concrete wall - however, he is more of a werewolf type than a vampire.
Agility is the vampires' power to outrun their preys, it is believed they are faster and exellent reflex than humans, in a split-second they would appear behind or in different places. A very handy ability for them to stalk their potential victims. With their extremely good reflexes, they're able to catch blows, dodge bullets, and withstand worse injuries than a regular human being can. One should also note that vampires are capable of instantly healing after taking damage.
The common rules for a vampire is that they have the ability to shapeshift into bat, mist and wolf - the old traditional term and as it is seen in Fright Night, Jerry transforms into a bat, and then stepping out from the mist.
Night Vision, hypnosisEdit
As a nocturnal creature, vampires can see perfectly in the darkness whereas a human can't. It is believed that all vampires possess the power to hypnotize their victims, as shown when Regine had gained access to Charley's mind and was able to control him (it seems to work best when one's being bitten). An example can be seen in Fright Night II where Charley's attempt on stabbing Regine during her sleep, however with no prevail as she took a hold on him. Strangely, she must have sensing Charley's presence and able to prevent him on taking the fatal blow on her. It may be that this is the way of a vampire protect its life and been surviving for centuries because of the cunning use of hypnotic power and their supernatural powers.
True Form TransformationEdit
Vampires have the unparreled ability to transform into hideous creatures, they often do this when in danger. This also enchances their supernatural powers. it also grants them some new abilities, such as flying, longened claws and in some cases do things extremely supernatural like breathing fire.
- Destroying the heart: The most common method of destroying a vampire is puncturing or destroying the heart with a very sharp object. Usually in Fright Night, wooden stakes were used.
- Sunlight: A vampire will explode into burned and bloody remains, their bodily pressure become unstable and their bodies burst into blood and ashes when sunlight hits them and will start to burn in flames until only dust remains. They will also lose some or all sentience when in the presence of sunlight and will become feral and hiss at it
- Christian objects & symbols: Vampire weaknesses include crosses, but only if the person holding it has faith. Holy water burns vampire flesh like acid and if its a too big quantity it will be fatal. Altar clothes also disintegrate the undead.
- Garlic and roses: Garlic will ward off vampires, and if touced will iritate their skin. Also, vampires can't touch roses, as the touch of it causes the vampire skin to burn .
- Fire: Fire is also deadly to vampires, but won't kill them as quickly as sunlight. It will confuse, disorient, frighten, and cause them to become feral and lose sentience if they are at close proximty to fire. They will also hiss at it just as they do with direct sunlight.
"It's a strong breed, you're gonna need an army!"- Peter Vincent to Charley & Amy on how to kill Jerry
Vampires have a human appearance, but with paler skin. If they show their vampiric nature black eyes, visible veins and long fangs will show, but when angered or hurt, they'll grow rows of sharp teeth and have orange/yellow irises with the white of their eye becoming completely black, their faces will become montsrous as well with the brow being more angular and the hair less
visible, their cheekbones are more exposed and prominent as well. They are possessed by a demonic force that takes the form of ethereal smoke when a victim is turned and it will exorcise itself and return to its originator if the orginator is dying.
Peter Vincent says there are many breeds of Vampires and Jerry Dandrige belongs to a very strong breed from the Mediterranean that is tribal in nature and nests in the Earth. Peter also indicated that to take out several tribal members of Jerry's breed takes an entire army. They have three faces, a normal Human looking one, a vampire face which is a black-eyed and with elongated canine teeth, and sometimes other teeth, that elongate and become fangs. and they also have a more monstrous vampire face with sharp teeth. Jerry's tribe has also been known to keep their victims alive for days in order to snack on their blood; which was clearly seen when Jerry had Doris locked up in a spare room where he fed on her when he required sustinance. The tribe may utilize snacking on humans in order to keep them from putting a strain on their food source; meaning it conserves on the amount of humans they feed on and doesn't cause their prey to go extinct. Vampires in both the original and remake cast no reflection in mirrors, nor do they show up on camera footage because of the reflective surfaces that cameras use. Much like the original film as well; the vampires in the remake cannot enter anyone's private residence without being invited in first. Once invited, vampires are capable of entering and exiting the residence at will. The only exception to residential invitations is when the residence is abandoned by the former owner. When Jerry chased Ed Lee into a nearby adandoned house, Ed thought he was safe. However, Jerry entered the premises stating it was, in fact, abandoned.
Vampires in the remake seem to regain their humanity after being staked in heart; primarily when Ed tells Charlie "its ok" and Jerry who has visible tears coming out of his remaining eye after being staked.
- Superhuman Senses: Vampires can smell fear and have excellent hearing. The newly vampiric Ed made an apparently sincere, albeit taunting, comment to Amy and Charley about how he could feel them and taste them. This could indicate that a vampire's senses are all heightened to an intense degree when they're actively hunting.
- Semi-Invulnerability: Vampires have shown a degree of invulnerability. This enables them to actually withstand attacks ranging from being stabbed or hit, to being hit by cars. Mostly they can indeed withstand weapons that are not holy in nature, such as arrows, bullets and possibly even small bombs.
- Superhuman Agility: Jerry was able to leap several yards towards Charley in a single bound. Ed Lee was more of a gleaming example of this as he was able to easily outmaneuver Charley in hand-to-hand combat. Through anticipation and clever timing, however, Charley was able to land a direct blow with a large and cumbersome axe though this did little to hinder Ed's vampiric assault as he immediately grounded Charley afterwards with stunning grace.
- Flight: Vampires may also possess the power to fly while in their Human form as well, though this has never been seen. They do however have related abilities, such as being able to hang from ceilings without any apparent support as Jerry did in the night club and in his own basement when he grabbed Peter and tossed him back into a hallway.
- Blood Absorption: Vampires mostly feed by biting a victim and draining a significant amount of blood from them, however recently shown the Vampires have the capability to actually absorb Human blood through their skin. It is also safe to assume that their immortality keeps them from dying of blood borne diseases. So far the only vampire seen with this capability is Gerri Dandridge who she bathes in blood in order to retain her youthful form.
- Daywalking: Although Vampires are incapable of walking in the daylight; it is said that that an ancient Pagan ritual would allow vampires to actually walk around in the daylight permanently. Jerry was shown walking outside at dawn when he moved in.
They basically die in the same ways as they do in the original. There is difference in the way they react to sunlight, as they turn to ambers and explode into bloody and incinerated peices, with a smoke that mirrors the demonic force of vampirism being destroyed. They quickly turn to black ash and blow away rather than exploding into green flame.
Vampires have also been said to die when their head is severed from the body. When a vampire is on fire, they have a difficult time thinking clearly; which was clearly stated when Peter told Charley that he needed to torch Jerry before staking him at close range. When they are staked in the heart as well, they would go up into ash, much like how they do in daylight; which was seen when Charley ran Ed through the heart with what was left of the Double Bladed Battle Ax he defended himself with against Ed. It was also seen when Charley staked Jerry with the stake blessed by St. Michael; causing him to not only burst into ash, but also allowed for all his victims to be changed back into humans.